Summer diet:This is not really an ideal time to gorge on fiery hot and spicy food, but turning towards something cooling and comforting.
Sushmita Sengupta | Updated: May 25, 2020 16:14 IST
Six cooling foods that could be your best diet-friendly companions
- Summers come loaded with many nutritious foods
- Cucumber has a rich water content
- Coconut water is replete with electrolytes
The summers are here and how; as the country grapples with the intense heatwave, the experts are predicting that things may get worse in coming days. The temperatures may continue to soar, and we must take all precautions that we can to cope with the sweltering heat. Your diet could also play an instrumental role in providing some respite. As you must have figured, this is not really an ideal time to gorge on fiery hot and spicy food, but turning towards something cooling and comforting. Your tummy needs soothing foods and the season is abound with it.
Coconut water is one of the most beloved summer drinks
Here are six cooling foods that could be your best diet-friendly companions in this scorching weather:
- Coconut Water: Nothing complements the blazing heat as the glass full of coconut water. The rejuvenating drink is filled with electrolytes. The miracle potion helps keep you hydrated and energised. It also contains a wealth of antioxidants.
- Mint: Mint (or pudina) is a summer staple that is used in a gamut of our daily preparations. The refreshing herb has immunity boosting power; it is effective in boosting digestion and can help give you a minty cool breath.
- Sabja: Sabja seeds (or basil seeds) have a distinct fragrant quality, which is why it is added to desserts and drinks. It also comes with a range of health benefiting properties, according to Bangalore-based Nutritionist, Dr. Anju Sood, “Sabja seeds are rich in antioxidants, help in controlling diabetes and are also good for your skin.”
- Cucumber: Cooling and crunchy, cucumber is one of our most favourite summer foods. You can use it in salads, juices, detox drinks, raita and more. Replete with antioxidants and minerals, about 95 percent of cucumber is just water. Hundred grams of cucumber contains only 16 calories, which makes it an excellent choice for dieters.
- Curd: Curd is again loaded with properties that could help boost digestion. Super light on tummy curd is also a store-house of good bacteria that could help improve your gut health.
- Watermelon: Sweet and oh-so-delectable, watermelon is all water and nutrients. If you are craving something sweet and are refraining from sugar- you could have some chilled watermelon and satiate your cravings without much guilt.
(Also Read: Basil Seeds: 7 Surprising Benefits Of Sabja Seeds)
Sabja seeds are also replete with antioxidants
Other than these foods, Indian gourd vegetables like lauki, karela, tori are also renowned for their cooling properties, you can try adding these to your diet as well.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.
How To Make Unique Restaurant-Special Lahsooni Palak Paneer
All About The World Food Prize And 2020’s Indian-American Winner – Dr. Rattan Lal
National5 hours ago26 views
In post-COVID world, rethinking livelihoods and laws necessary to help informal sector cope with new norm
National23 hours ago18 views
Haryana Board Class 10 result 2020 toppers: Hisar girl Rishita tops 10th board exam with 500 marks; 64.59% students pass
National19 hours ago16 views
Rajnath Singh holds talks with US counterpart Esper, discusses defence cooperation
Delhi3 hours ago16 views
Delhi Police arrests Dawood Ibrahim’s aide Anwar Thakur with Rs 22 lakh pistol
Entertainment22 hours ago15 views
Case filed against Mahesh Bhatt, Alia Bhatt for Sadak 2 poster
Sex and Relationships5 hours ago14 views
Praying away the gay: Instagram bans ‘conversion therapy’ content as opposition…
National16 hours ago14 views
Vikas Dubey did wrong, deserved this fate, says wife Richa Dubey at funeral
Entertainment22 hours ago13 views
Bengali star Koel Mallick, father Ranjit Mallick test Covid-19 positive