Coronavirus: 21-Day Lockdown In India, Here’s Full List Of What’s Open & What’s Closed
Coronavirus Lockdown in India: The Ministry of Home Affairs on Tuesday, listed several services, including government and private offices, which would be out of bounds during the period.
By : ABP News Bureau | 25 Mar 2020 12:31 PM (IST)
NEW DELHI: Petrol Pump workers seen at work in a filling station during the first day of lockdown imposed by the state government to control the spread of coronavirus at Munirka on March 23, 2020 in New Delhi, India. (Photo by Amal KS via Getty Images)
Following the announcement of 21-day complete lockdown made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a bid to contain the transmission of the novel coronavirus Covid-19 in the country, the Union Home Ministry has issued an advisory which elaborates on what services shall remain open and what shall be closed. The MHA also asked state governments to check the spread of rumours about shortage of food and other essential commodities.
In a communication to chief secretaries and DGPs of all states, the ministry asked them to take action to allay apprehensions and maintain peace and tranquillity, and inform people about the availability of food, medicine and other essential commodities.
The guidelines listed several services, including government and private offices, which would be out of bounds during the period, while exempting establishments such as hospitals, ration shops, dairies, banks, insurance offices and print and electronic media.
Delivery of all essential goods, including food, pharmaceuticals and medical equipment, through e-commerce has also been exempted from the purview of the lockdown, it said.
Here is a list of what will remain shut during lockdown and what shall remain operational, as per the MHA
- Offices of the Government of India, its Autonomous/ Subordinate Offices and Public Corporations shall remain closed.
Exceptions: Defence, central armed police forces, treasury, public utilities (including petroleum, CNG, LPG, PNG), disaster management, power generation and transmission units, post offices, National Informatics Centre, Early Warning Agencies
- Offices of the State/ Union Territory Governments, their Autonomous Bodies, Corporations, etc. shall remain closed.
Exceptions: a) Police, home guards, civil defence, fire and emergency services, disaster management, and prisons. b) District administration and Treasury c) Electricity, water, sanitation d) Municipal bodies—Only staff required for essential services like sanitation, personnel related to water supply etc
The above offices (SI. No I & 2) should work with minimum number of employees. All other offices may continue to work-from-home only.
- Hospitals and all related medical establishments, including their manufacturing and distribution units, both in public and private sector, such as dispensaries, chemist and medical equipment shops, laboratories, clinics, nursing homes, ambulance etc. will continue to remain functional. The transportation for all medical personnel, nurses, para-medical staff, other hospital support services be permitted.
- Commercial and private establishments shall be closed down.
- Shops, including ration shops (under PDS), dealing with food, groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy and milk booths, meat and fish, animal fodder. However, district authorities may encourage and facilitate home delivery to minimize the movement of individuals outside their homes.
- Banks, insurance offices, and ATMs.
- Print and electronic media
- Telecommunications, internet services, broadcasting and cable services. IT and IT enabled Services only (for essential services) and as far as possible to work from home.
- Delivery of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment through E-commerce.
- Petrol pumps, LPG, Petroleum and gas retail and storage outlets.
- Power generation, transmission and distribution units and services.
- Capital and debt market services as notified by the Securities and Exchange Board of India
- Cold storage and warehousing services.
- Private security services
All other establishments may work-from-home only.
- Industrial Establishments will remain closed.
Exceptions: Manufacturing units of essential commodities; Production units, which require continuous process, after obtaining required permission from the State Government
- All transport services — air, rail, roadways — will remain suspended.Exceptions: Transportation for essential goods only; Fire, law and order and emergency services.
- Hospitality Services to remain suspended.Exceptions: Hotels, homestays, lodges and motels, which are accommodating tourists and persons stranded due to lockdown, medical and emergency staff, air and sea crew; establishments used/ earmarked for quarantine facilities.
- All educational, training, research, coaching institutions etc. shall remain closed.
- All places of worship shall be closed for public. No religious congregations will be permitted, without any exception.
- All social/ political/ sports/ entertainment/ academic/ cultural/ religious functions / gatherings shall be barred.
- In case of funerals, congregation of not more than twenty persons will be permitted.