The Federal Government says it will work to reform laws and regulations around sexual assault in response to a report on workplace harassment.
Under the proposed changes, sexual harassment will be grounds for dismissal from a workplace, while the scope of the Sex Discrimination Act will be extended to include judges and MPs.
The Human Rights Act will also be amended to allow victims two years to come forward, instead of the current six months.
LIVE UPDATES: Vaccine ‘very safe’ says Australia’s top doctor
The government is also looking to add sexual harassment in the definition of serious misconduct to the Fair Work Act.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Attorney General Michaelia Cash outlined the changes as part of 55 recommendations the government is endorsing either in part or full from its Respect@Work report.
The report was released last January and the government adopted nine of its recommendations at the time.
However, today it responded to the report for a second time.
It comes after the first meeting of the new women’s cabinet taskforce, which was established in the wake of several sexual harassment and rape allegations which have rocked Australian politics for months.
Speaking to reporters, Mr Morrison referenced statistics from the Australian Human Rights Commission, which said 39 per cent of women and 26 per cent of men have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace.
“The events around this building over the course of the past few months have only further highlighted and reinforced the seriousness of these issues, the challenge that we face and the great frustration that is felt by Australians and, in particular, women all over the country,” Mr Morrison said.
“Sexual harassment is unacceptable.
“It’s not only immoral and despicable and even criminal, but particularly in the context of the respect at work report, it denies Australians, especially women, not just their personal security but their economic security by not being safe at work.”
Shine Lawyers head of employment law Samantha Mangwana said enacting the recommendations of the Sex Discrimination Commissioner “is the simplest first step for the government to demonstrate its commitment to making workplaces safer for everyone”.
“One important change will be to extend the time for victims of sexual harassment to come forward,” Ms Mangwana said.
“Previously, it was possible for the Human Rights Commission to terminate complaints if these were not brought within just six months.
“This short time period was entirely unrealistic and yet another hurdle that simply failed to recognise the complex challenges for many victims to overcome before contemplating legal action.
“They will soon have a 24-month window instead, which more meaningfully reflects the time necessary for many victims to do come forward. It is hoped this may therefore encourage more victims to take action.
“Importantly, politicians and judges will no longer be exempt from the Sex Discrimination Act, closing an important loophole that for too long had the effect of allowing some of the most powerful people in the country to be above the law.
“The shocking allegations engulfing Canberra in recent months, and the High Court’s findings of sexual harassment against former Justice Dyson Heydon, have highlighted the urgency of ensuring there is a straightforward route for victims to seek justice.”
Switching off: AGL mystifies the market
Chief executive Brett Redman and chairman Graeme Hunt had met late on Tuesday after several high-level strategy days. Each was focused on nutting out a plan to split the company, only announced three weeks earlier.Instead, the conversation quickly took a different turn.On the 24th floor at 200 George St, the boss of Australia’s biggest energy…
Chief executive Brett Redman and chairman Graeme Hunt had met late on Tuesday after several high-level strategy days. Each was focused on nutting out a plan to split the company, only announced three weeks earlier.Instead, the conversation quickly took a different turn.On the 24th floor at 200 George St, the boss of Australia’s biggest energy retailer was suddenly headed for the exit.The official version was that Redman handed in his resignation. After weighing up a lesser role leading one of the soon-to-be-separated companies, he could not commit to a further five-year stint after already spending 15 years with the power giant.However, his hasty exit — he was out the door as CEO on Thursday — has sent the rumour mill into overdrive. Industry insiders question why Redman was not allowed to deliver the restructuring he had in large part devised. “Either the board is extremely dumb or there is something missing in the story we’re being told,” one industry executive told The Weekend Australian. “It doesn’t stack up.”Certainly when Redman broke the news to several of his executive team late on Wednesday, there was huge surprise that the AGL “lifer” would choose to abandon ship during one of the most pivotal restructures of its 180-year history.Those close to the board say they had little choice. Once Redman had indicated his intention to resign, as they tell it, it would have been futile for the CEO to keep working on a major break-up of the company when he already had one foot out the door.The board saw its hand being forced and made the emergency decision to parachute Hunt in as interim boss while AGL director Peter Botten was named chairman.By Wednesday night, the news had leaked into the tight-knit electricity industry. As Redman returned to his Pymble home in Sydney’s upper north shore, a small number of AGL staff worked late into the night preparing the announcement. Redman would get to keep his short and long-term incentives after being treated as a “good leaver” under the company’s executive remuneration framework.The “good leaver” terms allow executives to keep incentives under a range of scenarios including the CEO role being terminated by mutual agreement with the board. It also keeps the official narrative in place.Redman returned to the office early on Thursday morning and filmed a video message for staff, before The Australian broke the news.Hunt had of course been here before. In 2018 he was forced to call Andy Vesey, Redman’s predecessor, to a meeting where the US executive was told his time was up. The combative Vesey boarded a plane to the US soon after and never came back.Hunt quickly appointed Redman, AGL’s then CFO, as his replacement. His mandate was to reset the company and improve relationships with Canberra, develop a more unified executive team and find a way of growing new sources of revenue as the power market’s switch to renewables gathered pace. AGL Energy ASX chart (AGL)But any sense that Redman would be able to sit back and enjoy the $1bn in record annual profits brought in by Vesey in 2018 would soon fade. Australia’s oldest utility quickly saw its earnings whiplashed by low wholesale electricity prices and government intervention on top of a backlash by investors over exposure to polluting coal plants.A $3bn plan to buy his way out of trouble through a takeover of telco Vocus was unsuccessful and Redman eventually came to terms with needing to make a more fundamental change.The blueprint unveiled on March 30 was bold.AGL would create two ASX-listed companies through a demerger after splitting its retail and supply arms to form a green electricity retailer and a generation giant dominated by coal power.Redman would divide the company into a zero carbon retail business dubbed New AGL and a generation business — including its coal plants Loy Yang A and Bayswater — in a separate vehicle known as PrimeCo.Curiously, Redman spent relatively little time engaging with investors about the grand restructure in the last few weeks with Hunt thought to have taken a leading role in speaking with shareholders.There were immediately plenty of misgivings and questions about whether the move may be masking a fundamental dent to earnings in the next few years.Others said that with AGL shares halving in value in the last nine months alone, the company could hardly afford to sit on its hands and hope for the best.Either way, industry watchers say having Hunt, with scant energy experience, as interim boss in charge of executing the restructure is hardly ideal. “If you’re the architect of the plan, surely you would want to have Redman there to see it further down the road. It smells very fishy,” one source said.Redman will remain “on-call” to AGL until October but he’s expected to spend little time in the office. Pulling off the company’s move to New AGL now rests with Hunt.
Luckless AFL star’s ‘shattering’ blow
The Western Bulldogs utility has endured a horror run of injuries throughout his AFL career, and the star’s nightmare unfortunately looks set to continue.Having played just three games in the 2020 season, Jong was poised to make his long-awaited return from an ankle injury for the round six grudge match at Canberra’s Manuka Oval.But his…
The Western Bulldogs utility has endured a horror run of injuries throughout his AFL career, and the star’s nightmare unfortunately looks set to continue.Having played just three games in the 2020 season, Jong was poised to make his long-awaited return from an ankle injury for the round six grudge match at Canberra’s Manuka Oval.But his comeback was cruelly cut short in the opening term.Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >During the first quarter of Friday evening’s clash against the GWS Giants, Ling fell to the deck clutching his right hamstring following an inconspicuous collision with Callan Ward.“This looks like a hamstring for Jong, holding the bottom of the right leg there,” commentator James Brayshaw said on Channel 7.“That is not good. Not good at all for a guy that’s had to battle so hard over the last couple of years.”Hawthorn great Luke Hodge continued: “That’s shattering … he’s had so many issues, especially with his shoulders. He finally gets back in and started the game really well, and then that happens.”The 27-year-old was helped off the ground by two trainers and later replaced by medical substitute Lachlan McNeil.Jong has missed 38 games since 2017 through injury, and that number could grow depending on the severity of Friday’s setback.“Feel so sorry for Jong he has put in so much work. Pretty devastating to see him go down,” Bulldogs teammate Jack Macrae told Channel 7.The Advocate’s Alex Fair tweeted: “Lin Jong injured. Footy can be really cruel sometimes.”The Age’s Daniel Cherney posted: “Poor Lin Jong. Cursed that bloke.”Jong signed a one-year deal in November last year to extend his AFL career into a tenth season.Minutes later, Giants midfielder Nick Haynes was also subbed out of the contest with a hamstring complaint, replaced by teammate Tanner Bruhn.In a tightly-contest first half at the nation’s capital, the undefeated Bulldogs struggled to move the ball out of their back-half in cold conditions.“The Giants are really well set-up defensively — and that’s what’s forcing some of these hack kicks out from the Western Bulldogs,” Swans legend Jude Bolton told Channel 7.“They’re being a bit more methodical with their ball use, the Giants.”But the Bulldogs prevailed to hold a narrow eight-point lead at halftime.The margin was reduced to just three points at three-quarter-time, setting up a nailbiting climax.Former Essendon star Matthew Lloyd told 3AW: “The game has turned into a bit of a dogfight. And that’s exactly what the Giants wanted going into the last quarter.”However, the Bulldogs dominated the final term, kicking the final six goals to clinch a 15.14 (104) to 9.11 (65) victory.Giants captain Toby Greene kicked a game-high four majors for the hosts, also contributing 19 disposals and six marks.READ MORE: AFL fans booted amid WA snap lockdownMeanwhile, Macrae once again dominated the midfield with a game-high 40 disposals and 864 metres gained.The Bulldogs have started season with six consecutive wins, a feat they haven’t achieved since 1946.Luke Beveridge’s side will next face the Richmond Tigers at the MCG, while the Giants will travel to Adelaide to take on the Crows.NED-3294-NCA-App-Banner
Devastation grows as crematoriums overflow in India
Warning: This article contains images which may be distressing to some readersIndia reported a global record of more than 314,000 new infections on Thursday as a grim coronavirus surge in the world’s second-most populous country sends more and more sick people into a fragile health care system critically short of hospital beds and oxygen.The 314,835…
Warning: This article contains images which may be distressing to some readers
India reported a global record of more than 314,000 new infections on Thursday as a grim coronavirus surge in the world’s second-most populous country sends more and more sick people into a fragile health care system critically short of hospital beds and oxygen.
The 314,835 infections added in the past 24 hours raise India’s total past 15.9 million cases since the pandemic began. It’s the second-highest total in the world next to the United States. India has nearly 1.4 billion people.
Fatalities rose by 2104 in the past 24 hours, raising India’s overall death toll to 184,657, the Health Ministry said.
A large number of hospitals are reporting acute shortages of beds and medicine and are running on dangerously low levels of oxygen.
The New Delhi High Court on Wednesday ordered the government to divert oxygen from industrial use to hospitals to save people’s lives.
“You can’t have people die because there is no oxygen. Beg, borrow or steal, it is a national emergency,” the judges said, responding to a petition by a New Delhi hospital seeking the court’s intervention.
The government is rushing oxygen tankers to replenish supplies to hospitals.
Indian Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said on Thursday that “demand and supply is being monitored round the clock.” He said in a tweet that to address the exponential spike in demand, the government has increased the quota of oxygen for the seven worst-hit states.
Lockdowns and strict curbs have brought pain, fear and agony to many people in New Delhi and other cities.
In scenes familiar across the country, ambulances are rush from one hospital to another, trying to find an empty bed. Grieving relatives line up outside crematoriums where the number of dead bodies has jumped several times.
“I get numerous calls every day from patients desperate for a bed. The demand is far too much than the supply,” said Dr Sanjay Gururaj, a doctor at Bengaluru-based Shanti Hospital and Research Centre.
“I try to find beds for patients every day, and it’s been incredibly frustrating to not be able to help them. In the last week, three patients of mine have died at home because they were unable to get beds. As a doctor, it’s an awful feeling,” Gururaj said.
Yogesh Dixit, a resident of northern Uttar Pradesh state, said earlier this week that he had to buy two oxygen cylinders at 12,000 rupees ($206) each, more than twice the normal cost, for his ailing father because the state-run hospital in Lucknow had run out of supplies.
He bought two “because the doctors can ask for another oxygen cylinder at any time,” he said, adding that he had to sell his wife’s jewelry to meet the cost.
Makeshift crematoriums overrun
The main cremation ground at Lucknow, the state capital, received nearly 200 bodies on Sunday.
“The bodies were everywhere, they were being cremated on sidewalks meant for walking. I have never such a flow of dead bodies in my life,” said Shekhar Chakraborty, 68.
In Kanpur, also in Uttar Pradesh, 35 temporary platforms have been set up on Bithoor-Sidhnath Ghat along the Ganges River to cremate bodies.
The Health Ministry said that of the country’s total production of 7500 tons of oxygen per day, 6600 tons was being allocated for medical use.
It also said that 75 railroad coaches in the Indian capital have been turned into hospitals providing an additional 1200 beds for COVID-19 patients.
The Times of India newspaper said that the previous highest daily case count of 307,581 was reported in the US on January 8.
- Australian22 hours ago
Cairns school leavers recognised among state’s brightest
- Australian16 hours ago
Coronavirus: Australia’s vaccine rollout fast-tracked, India’s new outbreak | 9 News Australia
- City News14 hours ago
Melissa Caddick’s $8m windfall after tip-off ignored by ASIC
- Australian22 hours ago
House Rules couple Maddi and Lloyd list QLD house for sale
- Australian7 hours ago
Australians over taking antidepressants daily sparks concern | 9 News Australia
- National17 hours ago
Dutton warns China: ‘We won’t be bullied’
- Australian5 hours ago
Luckless AFL star’s ‘shattering’ blow
- Technology23 hours ago
Google Pay extends $30 ‘Spring Challenge’ to May 3rd so you can get that pesky fox [Updated]